July 31, 2018 - 10:00am
Texas Department of State Health Services, Moreton Building, Room M-100
1100 West 49th Street
Notice of Public Hearing on the State Plan for Streptococcus pneumoniae
House Bill 970, 85th Legislature, Regular Session, 2017, added Health and Safety Code, Chapter 94A, which directs the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) to develop a state plan for prevention and treatment of diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, including strategies for demographic groups that are disproportionately affected (persons who are elderly, children under two years of age, persons living in long-term care facilities, persons with a chronic heart or lung disease, smokers, and persons with asplenia). In developing the plan, DSHS must seek the advice of:
1. The public, including members of the public who have been infected with Streptococcus pneumoniae;
2. Each state agency that provides services to persons infected with Streptococcus pneumoniae or that is assigned duties related to diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, including any appropriate health and human services agency described by Section 531.001, Government Code, the Employees Retirement System of Texas, and the Teacher Retirement System of Texas;
3. Any advisory body that addresses issues related to diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae;
4. Public advocates concerned with issues related to diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae;
5. Providers of services to persons with diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae;
6. A statewide professional association of physicians; and
7. A statewide professional association of nurses.
DSHS will conduct a public hearing in order to receive advice on prevention and treatment strategies to be included in the State Plan for Streptococcus pneumoniae on July 31, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. at theTexas Department of State Health Services, Moreton Building, Room M-100, 1100 West 49th Street, Austin, Texas 78756.
Parties interested in the development of the state plan for prevention and treatment of diseases caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae may also submit written comments. Written comments will be taken until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 31, 2018. Comments may be sent by U.S. mail, overnight mail, special delivery mail, or hand delivery to the Texas Department of State Health Services, Attention: Linc Allen, Bernstein Building, 1100 West 49th Street, Mail Code 1946, Austin, Texas 78756. Comments can also be submitted by Fax to (512) 776-7288 with Attention: Linc Allen, or by email to Immunization.Info@dshs.texas.gov. In the subject line, please indicate “Comments for Public Hearing on the State Plan for Streptococcus pneumoniae.”
Questions regarding agenda items, content, or meeting arrangements should be directed to Linc Allen, Public Information Team Lead, Phone (512) 776-6266, or email at Immunization.Info@dshs.texas.gov.
This hearing is open to the public. No reservations are required and there is no cost to attend this meeting. People with disabilities who wish to attend the meeting and require auxiliary aids or services should contact Anne Mosher, Department of State Health Services, telephone (512) 776-2780, at least 72 hours before the meeting so appropriate arrangements can be made.
This meeting will be webcast. To access the webcast, please refer to the HHS website at https://hhs.texas.gov/about-hhs/communications-events/live-archived-meetings on the day and time of the meeting.